Creamy Mushroom Soup
3 oz dried porcini mushrooms
1 lb fresh porcini, sliced (or crimini)
3 tblsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
6 cups homemade/good quality chicken broth
1 potato, diced to 3/4 inch cubes, boiled until tender
2 cups half and half
- Soak dried porcini in 1 cup water until softened. Squeeze liquid from the reconstituted mushrooms and coarsely chop the mushrooms. Save mushroom liqueur and add to the soup when chicken broth is added.
- Pour olive oil into a large pan and sauté onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent, being careful not let the onions or garlic become brown.
- Add chopped, reconstituted and sliced fresh mushrooms and sauté until softened, about five minutes. Stir often.
- Add chicken broth and mushroom liqueur and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Cook until onions and mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool until just warm; put in batches in blender and puree until smooth.
- Add drained potato chunks and puree to incorporate the potato into the mixture. Pour the processed soup back into original pan, heat until hot, but not boiling, and stir in half and half.
- Continue heating until at serving temperature. Serve immediately with crusty French bread. (A dollop of sour cream with a flat parsley leaf on top will add color and contrast to the soup)
Pair with Girasole Vineyards Pinot Noir!