1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ribs and cook, turn until golden. Transfer ribs to a casserole.
2. Add garlic and tomatoes to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add wine and bring to a boil. Pour wine mixture over ribs and add herbs. Cover with foil and braise in the oven 2.5 hours, until fork tender.
3. Transfer ribs to platter. Strain cooking juices through fine strainer; discard the solids. Return strained juices and ribs to the casserole.
4. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sweat until tender and pale. Add to ribs. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet; add the porcini and sauté until golden. Add to ribs. Adjust seasonings to taste.
5. Garnish with chopped chives and rosemary sprigs. Serve with potato puree or soft polenta and BARRA of Mendocino Cabernet Sauvignon.